MARRIAGES (PROHIBITION OF WASTEFUL EXPENSES) (AMENDMENT) ORDINANCE, 1998
ORDINANCE XV OF 1998
4th December, 1998
An Ordinance to amend the
Marriages (Prohibition of Wasteful Expenses) Act, 1997
No.F.2(1)/98-Pub., dated 4-12-1998.—The following Ordinance made by the President is hereby published for general information:–
Whereas it is expedient to amend the Marriages (Prohibition of Wasteful Expenses) Act, 1997 (XXI of 1997) for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
And whereas the National Assembly is not in session and the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of Article 89 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:–
1. Short title, application and commencement.–(1) This Ordinance may be called the Marriages (Prohibition of Wasteful Expenses) (Amendment) Ordinance, 1998.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Federal Government may, by notification in official Gazette appoint.
2. Amendment of section 1, Act XXI of 1997.-In the Marriages (Prohibition of Wasteful Expenses) Act, 1997 (XXI of 1997), hereinafter referred to as the said Act, in section I, for the word “two” the word “five” shall be substituted.
3. Amendment of section 3, Act XXI of 1997.–In the said Act, in section 3,–
(a) in clause (c) for the full stop at the end a semi colon and word “;or” shall be substituted; and
(b) after clause (c) amended as aforesaid, the following new clause shall be added, namely:–
(d) hold any reception or function to celebrate marriage after sunset.”
4. Amendment of section 5, Act XXI of 1997.–In the said Act, in section 5, after the word “drinks”, at the end, the words “or allow, or provide any service to, any one to hold any reception or function to celebrate marriage after sunset” shall be added.