Electricity (Amendment) Ordinance, 1998
Ordinance XVIII of 1998
An ordinance further to amend the Electricity Act, 1910
WHEREAS it is expedient further to amend the Electricity Act, 1910 (IX of 1910), for the purposes hereinafter appearing;
AND WHEREAS the National Assembly is not in session and the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
NOW, THEREFORE, in exercise of the power conferred by clause (I) of Article 89 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following ordinance:-
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) This Ordinance may be called the Electricity (Amendment) Ordinance, 1998.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment of sections 39 and 39A, Act IX of 1910. – In the Electricity Act, 1910 (IX of 1910), hereinafter referred to as the said Act, in sections 39 and 39A, for the words “five thousand” the words “five million” shall be substituted.
3. Amendment of section 44, Act IX of 1910.- In the said Act, in section 44, in clause (c),-
(a) for the words “five hundred” the words “five million” shall be substituted; and
(b) for the word “fifty” the words “five thousand” shall be substituted.
4. Addition of new section 50A, Act IX of 1910.- In the said Act, after section 50, the following new section shall be inserted, namely:
Cognizance of offences, etc.-
(1) No court inferior to that of a magistrate of the first class shall try an offence punishable under this Ordinance.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 32 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (Act V of 1898), it shall be lawful for any Magistrate of the first class to pass any sentence authorised by this Ordinance”.