(W.P. Ordinance XXXII of 1960)
13th December, 1960
An Ordinance to provide for alteration
of limits of districts and constitution of new districts in the Punjab
Preamble.— WHEREAS it is expedient in the public interest to provide for alteration of limits of districts and constitution of new districts in the Punjab;
Now, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Presidential Proclamation of the seventh day of October, 1958, and having received the previous instructions of the President, the Governor of West Pakistan is pleased, in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
1. Short title and extent.— (1) This Ordinance may be called the Punjab Districts (Reconstitution) Ordinance, 1960.
(2) It extends to the whole of the province of the Punjab except the Tribal Areas.
2. Definitions.— In this Ordinance, “Government” means the Provincial Government of the Punjab.
3. Alteration of limits of districts and constitution of new districts.— Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, Government may, by notification on and from a date to be appointed therein (hereinafter referred to as the appointed date), alter the limits of a district or constitute a new district.
4. Application of laws.— Where in pursuance of section 3 any area (hereinafter referred to as the added area) is added to any district (hereinafter referred to as the district concerned):-
(a) no law in force in the district concerned immediately before the appointed date, shall, except as hereinafter provided, extend to the added area;
(b) all laws in force in the added area immediately before the appointed date shall continue until altered, repealed or amended by a competent authority;
(c) references in the laws in force in the added areas immediately before the appointed date to any authority, functionary, officer or office, howsoever worded, shall, on and from the appointed date, be construed as references to the corresponding authority, functionary, officer or office in the district concerned;
(d) Government may, by notified order extend any law which is in force in the district concerned and which the Governor of the Punjab is competent to make, to the added area and thereon any law in force in the added area corresponding to the provisions of such law shall stand repealed.
6. Adaptations.— With effect on and from the sixteenth September, 1960, references to the district of Shahpur, howsoever worded, appearing in any Act, Ordinance, order, bye-law, rule, regulation, notification, form or instrument, which immediately before the said date has the force of law, in the said district, shall be construed as references to the district of Sargodha.