(W.P. Act XXXVI of 1958)
5th May 1958
An Act to consolidate the law relating to the
prevention of the spread of dangerous epidemic diseases in the
Province of West Pakistan
Preamble : —
WHEREAS it is expedient to consolidate the law relating to the prevention of the spread of dangerous epidemic diseases in the Province of West Pakistan;
It is hereby enacted as follows : —
1. Short title, extent and commencement : — (1) This Act may be called the West Pakistan Epidemic Diseases Act, 1958.
(2) It extends to the whole of Pakistan
(3) It shall come into force at once.
2. Power to take special measures and prescribe regulations as to dangerous epidemic disease : — (1) When at any time the Provincial Government is satisfied that the Province or any part thereof is visited by, or threatened with an outbreak of any dangerous epidemic disease, the Provincial Government, if it thinks that the ordinary provisions of the law for the time being in force are insufficient for the purpose, may take, or require or empower any person to take, such measures and, by public notice, prescribe such temporary regulations to be observed by the public or by any person or class of persons as it shall deem necessary to prevent the outbreak of such disease or the spread thereof, and may determine in what manner and by whom any expenses incurred (including compensation, if any) shall be defrayed.
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions, the Provincial Government may take measures and prescribe regulations for the inspection of persons travelling by railway or otherwise, and the segregation, in hospital, temporary accommodation or otherwise, of persons suspected by the inspecting officer of being infected with any such disease.
(3) The Provincial Government may, by general or special order, empower a Deputy Commissioner to exercise in relation to the district all the powers under this section exercisable by the Provincial Government in relation to the Province, other than the power to determine in what manner and by whom any expenses incurred (including compensation, if any) shall be defrayed.
(4) The exercise of powers delegated by the Provincial Government shall be subject to such restrictions, limitations and conditions, if any, as may be specified by the Provincial Government and to the control of, and to revision by the Provincial Government.
3. Penalty : — Any person disobeying any regulation or order made under this Act shall be deemed to have committed an offence punishable under section 188 of the Pakistan Penal Code.
4. Protection to persons acting under Act : — No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against any person for anything done or in good faith intended to be done under this Act.
5. Repeal : — The following enactments are hereby repealed : —
(a) the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897;
(b) the Khairpur State Epidemic Diseases Act, 1941; and
(c) the Epidemic Diseases (Punjab Amendment) Act, 1944.