(Pb. Act VI of 1994)
29th June, 1994
An Act to levy and revise the rates
of certain taxes, duties and fees in the Punjab
Preamble.— Whereas it is expedient to levy and revise the rates of certain taxes, duties and fees in the Punjab;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.— (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Finance Act, 1994.
(2) It shall extend to the whole of the Punjab.
(3) It shall come into force on and from the first day of July, 1994.
2. Amendment of Act II of 1899.— In the Stamp Act 1899 (II of 1899) in section 27-A, in sub-section (1) after the words “Article 31” the words “or sub-Article (b) of Article 33” shall be inserted.
3. Amendment of Act V of 1958.— In the Punjab Urban Immovable Property Tax Act, 1958 (V of 1958)—
(i) in section 2 in clause (i) the words and brackets “(not being a District Board)” shall be omitted; and
(ii) in section 3 after sub-section (7) the following new sub-sections shall be added:-
“(8) From the first day of July, 1994 for calculating tax on owner-occupied properties the annual value shall be increased by twenty-five per cent of the annual value existing on the said day.
(9) Additional tax at the rate of twenty-five per cent of the tax payable shall be charged on owner-occupied property built on a plot measuring two kanals or more or having a covered area exceeding six thousand square feet”.
4. Amendment of Act XXXII of 1958.— In the Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1958 (XXXII of 1958)—
(i) In section 3 in sub-section (1) for the full-stop at the end of the third proviso a colon shall be substituted and thereafter the following further proviso shall be added:-
“Provided further that tax for a motor-cycle a scooter or a motor-cycle drawing a side trailer or cabin shall be levied lump sum once for all at the rate and time specified in the Schedule to this Act”; and
(ii) For the existing Schedule the Schedule given in the Schedule to this Act shall be substituted.
5. Amendment of Act XIV of 1973.— In the Punjab Finance Act 1973 (XIV of 1973) in the Second Schedule for Serial No. 9 and the entries against it the following shall be substituted:-
“9. Registration fee under rule 42 shall be charged at the rate of half per cent of the value of the vehicle:
(i) Vehicles meant for the invalid, ambulances and vehicles designed to be exclusively used to carry the dead shall be charged at the rate of Rs. 100;
(ii) tractors shall be charged at the rate of Rs. 800; and
(iii) temporary registration of any vehicle shall be charged at the rate of Rs. 200.”
(See Section 4)
(vide section 3 of the Motor Vehicles Taxation Act 1958)
S.No. Description of Motor Vehicles Annual Rate of Tax
1. (a) An amount of Rs. 800 shall be charged for motor-cycles and scooters once for all at the time of registration.
(b) An amount of Rs. 1,200 shall be charged once for all at the time of registration from a motor-cycle drawing a side trailer or cabin.
(c) Tax shall be charged once for all for motor-cycles and scooters already registered and paying tax according to the following scale:
Period for which tax has been paid Scale
(i) Not exceeding 3 years. Rs. 500
(ii) Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 6 years. Rs. 350
(iii) Exceeding 6 years but not exceeding 10 years. Rs. 200
(iv) Exceeding 10 years. Rs. 100
2. Vehicles (including tricycles) used for the transport or haulage of goods or materials—
(a) electrically propelled vehicles not exceeding 1250 kg in unladen weight. Rs. 100
(b) vehicles (including delivery vans) with maximum laden capacity up to 2030 kg. Rs. 500
(c) vehicles with maximum laden capacity exceeding 2030 kg but not exceeding 4060 kg. Rs. 820
(d) vehicles with maximum laden capacity exceeding 4060 kg but not exceeding 6090 kg. Rs. 1240
(e) vehicles with maximum laden capacity exceeding 6090 kg but not exceeding 8120 kg. Rs. 2440
(f) vehicles with maximum laden capacity exceeding 8120 kg but not exceeding 12000 kg. Rs. 3680
(g) vehicles with long trailers or other vehicles with maximum laden capacity exceeding 12000 kg. Rs. 5000
3. Vehicles plying for hire and ordinarily used for the transport of passengers (taxis and buses)-
(a) tricycles propelled by mechanical power (rickshaw cabs) with seating capacity of not more than 3 persons. Rs. 392
(b) motor vehicles with a seating capacity of more than 20 persons plying for hire exclusively within the limits of a Corporation, Municipality or Cantonment or partly within and partly outside such limits with sixty per cent of the total length of the route falling within the limits of a Corporation, Municipality or Cantonment. Rs. 88
(c) mini buses with a seating capacity of more than 6 and less than 20 persons plying for hire exclusively within the limits of Corporation, Municipality or Cantonment. Rs. 132
(d) other vehicles with a seating capacity of—
(i) not more than 4 persons; Rs. 520
(ii) more than 4 but not more than 6 persons. Rs. 652
(iii) more than 6 persons. Rs. 168
Explanation.— The seating capacity for the purpose of this clause does not include the seats meant for driver and conductor.
4. Motor vehicles other than those mentioned above and having—
(a) seating capacity of not more than 3 persons. Rs. 250
(b) seating capacity of more than 3 persons but not more than 6 persons—
(i) with engine power not exceeding 1000 cc Rs. 500
(ii) with engine power exceeding 1000 cc but not exceeding 1300 cc. Rs. 700
(iii) with engine power exceeding 1300 cc but not exceeding 1600 cc. Rs. 1200
(iv) with engine power exceeding 1600 cc. Rs. 1500
(c) seating capacity of more than 6 persons. Rs. 225
Explanation I.— Station wagons and vans used for private purpose shall be taxed under this clause.
Explanation II.— Motor vehicles taxed under this clause shall pay tax at the concessional rate of 75% of the payable tax on completion of 10 years of payment of tax after the date of registration.”