(Pb. Act XVI of 2004)
1. Short title and commencement.
3. Establishment of the Institute.
4. Functions and powers of the Institute.
7. Inspection and inquiry.
8. Board of Governors.
10. Powers and functions of the Board of Governors.
11. Business of the Board.
12. Delegation of powers.
15. College Fund.
16. Budget, audit and accounts.
18. Removal of difficulties.
SUPERIOR COLLEGE, LAHORE ACT 2004
(Pb. Act XVI of 2004)
17th June 2004
An Act to provide for the establishment of the
Superior College, Lahore.
Preamble.– Whereas it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Superior College, Lahore in the private sector and matters connected therewith and ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.– (1) This Act may be called the Superior College, Lahore, Act 2004.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.– In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context–
(a) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(b) “College” means the Superior College, Lahore, as constituted under this Act;
(c) “Company” means SAEPN (Pvt) Limited, registered under the Companies Ordinance, 1984 (XLVIII of 1984);
(d) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(e) “Patron” means the Patron of the College;
(f) “Rector” means the Rector of the College; and
(g) “Regulations” mean the Regulations made or deemed to have been made under this Act.
3. Establishment of the Institute.– (1) There shall be established an institute to be called the Superior College, Lahore in the private sector with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The Institute shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. Functions and powers of the Institute.– The functions and powers of the Institute shall be–
(a) to provide for instruction and training in–
(i) Faculties of Business and Management Sciences, Economics and Commerce, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Law; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations in a manner as may be determined by the Government and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote faculties;
(e) to prescribe course of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
5. Jurisdiction.– (1) The jurisdiction of the Institute shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The College shall not open any sub-campus or affiliate any other educational institution for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Act after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Patron.
6. Patron.– (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the College.
(2) The Patron or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the College.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Patron.
7. Inspection and inquiry.– (1) The Patron may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the College.
(2) The Patron shall communicate to the Board his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board shall, within such time as may be specified by the Patron, communicate to him such action as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Patron, the Patron may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Patron may, on the recommendation of a Committee constituted by him and comprising a nominee of the Board, a Judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take appropriate action against the Institute by appointing an administrator who shall exercise the powers of the Board to run the affairs of the Institute till such time as may be specified:
Provided that no action under sub-section (5) shall be taken unless the Chairman of the Board is afforded an opportunity of being heard.
(6) The Government may make Rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
(7) The Patron shall have the authority to annul any decision or action of the Board, which he thinks was taken against the interest of academic excellence, religious and cultural ideology and national integrity.
8. Board of Governors.– (1) The Board of Governors of the College shall consist of the following:-
(i) the Chairman of the Company;
(ii) members of the Board of Directors of the Company subject to a maximum of four members;
(iii) Chairman, Higher Education Commission or his nominee not below the rank of a Director;
(iv) a Vice Chancellor of a public sector University in the Punjab nominated by the Patron;
(v) the Rector; and
(vi) Secretary to the Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Company shall be the Chairman of the Board.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one; provided that at least two members shall be official members.
9. Rector.– (1) The Rector shall be appointed by the Government, who shall be an eminent scholar of national repute, on such terms and conditions as may be determined on the recommendations of the Board.
(2) The Rector shall perform such functions as are assigned to him by the Board.
10. Powers and functions of the Board of Governors.– The administration and management of the affairs of the College shall vest in the Board.
11. Business of the Board.– (1) The meetings and the business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in the Regulations and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No Regulation or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
12. Delegation of powers.– The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
13. Committees.– The Board may constitute such committees as may be deemed necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
14. Appointments.– The College may appoint such persons in its services as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
15. College Fund.– There shall be a fund to be known as the Superior College, Lahore Fund which shall vest in the College and to which shall be credited all sums received by the College.
16. Budget, audit and accounts.– The budget of the College shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the Board.
17. Regulations.– The Board may, by notification, make Regulations for the administration and management of the affairs of the College.
18. Removal of difficulties.– If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Act, the Board may, in consultation with the Government, give such directions, not inconsistent with the said provisions, as it may consider necessary for the removal of such difficulty.