1. Short title and commencement.
3. Establishment of the Institute.
4. Functions and powers of the Institute.
7. Inspection and inquiry.
8. Board of Governors.
10. Powers and functions of the Board.
11. Business of the Board.
14. Delegation of powers.
15. Institute Fund.
16. Budget, audit and accounts.
18. Removal of difficulties.
INSTITUTE OF SOUTH ASIA, LAHORE ACT 2003
(Pb. Act XII of 2003)
27 June 2003
An Act to provide for the establishment of the
Institute of South Asia, Lahore.
Whereas it is expedient to make provisions for the establishment of the Institute of South Asia, Lahore and to provide for matters connected therewith or ancillary thereto;
It is hereby enacted as follows : —
1. Short title and commencement.– (1) This Act may be called the Institute of South Asia, Lahore Act, 2003.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.– In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context–
(a) “Board” means the Board of Governors;
(b) “Government” means the Government of the Punjab;
(c) “Institute” means the Institute of South Asia, Lahore as constituted under this Act;
(d) “Patron” means the Patron of the Institute;
(e) “Rector” means the Rector of the Institute;
(f) “Regulations” means the Regulations made or deemed to have been made under this Act; and
(g) “Company” means the Gateway Technologies (Pvt.) Limited.
3. Establishment of the Institute.– (1) There shall be established an institute to be called the Institute of South Asia, Lahore with its campus located at Lahore.
(2) The Institute shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
4. Functions and powers of the Institute.– The functions and powers of the Institute shall be –
(a) to provide for instruction and training in –
(i) Computer Sciences; and
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department, Government of the Punjab:
Provided that in case of medical and engineering education, approval of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Pakistan Engineering Council respectively shall be a pre-requisite;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations and confer or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions on or to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote faculties;
(e) to prescribe course of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programs.
5. Jurisdiction.– (1) The jurisdiction of the Institute shall be restricted to the Province of the Punjab.
(2) The Institute shall not open any sub-campus or affiliate any other educational institution for a period of ten years from the commencement of this Act after which period it may have sub-campuses with the approval of the Patron.
6. Patron.– (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the Institute.
(2) The Patron or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the Institute.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Patron.
7. Inspection and inquiry.– (1) The Patron may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the Institute.
(2) The Patron shall communicate to the Board his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board shall, within such time as may be specified by the Patron, communicate to him such action as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Patron, the Patron may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Patron may, on the recommendation of a Committee constituted by the Patron and comprising a nominee of the Board, a Judge of the Lahore High Court, Lahore to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take any action against the Institute including its closure.
(6) The Government may make Rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
(7) The Patron shall have the authority to annul any decision or action of the Board, which he thinks was taken against the interest of academic excellence, religious and cultural ideology, and national integrity.
8. Board of Governors.– (1) The Board of Governors of the Institute shall comprise the following : —
(i) Chief Executive of the Company;
(ii) Directors of the Company subject to a maximum of four Directors;
(iii) Chairman, Higher Education Commission or his nominee not below the rank of Executive Director;
(iv) the Vice Chancellor of a University in the Punjab nominated by the Patron;
(v) the Rector; and
(vi) Secretary to the Government of the Punjab, Education Department or his nominee not below the rank of Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chief Executive of the Company shall be the Chairman of the Board.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the Board shall be one half of the total number of members, a fraction being counted as one.
9. Rector.– (1) The Rector shall be appointed by the Government on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Government on recommendations of the Board.
(2) The Rector shall perform such functions as may be assigned to him by the Board.
10. Powers and functions of the Board.– The administration and management of the affairs of the Institute shall vest in the Board.
11. Business of the Board.– (1) The meetings and business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in the Regulations and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No Statute, Regulation or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
12. Appointments.– The Institute may appoint such persons in its services as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
13. Committees.– The Board may constitute such committees as may be deemed necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
14. Delegation of powers.– The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
15. Institute Fund.– There shall be a fund to be known as the Institute of South Asia Fund which shall vest in the Institute and to which shall be credited all sums received by the Institute.
16. Budget, audit and accounts.– The budget of the Institute shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed by the Board.
17. Regulations.– The Board may, by notification, make Regulations for the administration and management of the affairs of the Institute.
18. Removal of difficulties.– If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Act, the Government may, in consultation with the Board, give such directions, not inconsistent with the said provisions, as it may consider necessary for the removal of such difficulty.
19. Repeal.– The Institute of South Asia, Lahore, Ordinance, 2003 (IV of 2003) is hereby repealed.