ACT III OF 2003
10th February 2003
An Act further to amend the Punjab Office of the Ombudsman Act, 1997.
No.PAP-Legis-2(5)/2003/429.– The Punjab Office of the Ombudsman (Amendment) Bill 2003, having been passed by the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab on 6 February 2003, and assented to by the Governor of the Punjab on 8 February 2003, is hereby published as an Act of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
Whereas it is expedient further to amend the Punjab Office of the Ombudsman Act, 1997 (X of 1997), in the manner hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.– (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Office of the Ombudsman (Amendment) Act 2003.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Amendment in section 3 of Act X of 1997.– In the said Act, in section 3, in sub-section (2), the words “and is”, occurring after the words “High Court” and before the word “person”, shall be substituted by the words “or any other”.
3. Amendment in section 4 of Act X of 1997.– In the said Act, in section 4, in sub-section (1) –
(i) the word “three” shall be substituted by the word “four”; and
(ii) full stop at the end shall be substituted by a colon and thereafter the following proviso shall be added:-
“Provided that a sitting Judge of the High Court working as Ombudsman may be called back by the competent authority before expiry of his tenure.”
4. Amendment in section 5 of Act X of 1997.– In the said Act, in section 5, in sub-section 2 –
(i) after the word “Ombudsman”, the commas and words, “not being a sitting Judge of the High Court,” shall be inserted; and
(ii) the words “or the Province” shall be omitted.