Complaint Resolution Procedure [For Natural Gas, Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)] Regulations, 2003
S.R.O. 867(1)/2003, dated 3.9.2003.— In exercise of the powers conferred by section 42 of the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority Ordinance, 2002 (XVII of 2002), the Oil and Gas Regulator Authority, makes the following regulations, namely:–
1. Short title and commencement.— (1) These regulations may be called the Complaint Resolution Procedure [for Natural Gas Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)] Regulations, 2003Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority Ordinance, 2002.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions. — (1) In these regulations unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(a) “application” means a complaint filed under these regulations;
(b) “complainant” means any one dealing as a retail consumer who files an application under these regulations;
(c) “dealer” includes an agent, broker, wholesaler and a person who sells or distributes LPG under an agreement in writing with a licensee;
(d) Designated Officer” means Authority’s
(i) Executive Director;
(ii) Head of Department; or
(iii) An officer appointed by it; to deal with an application,
(e) “Registrar” means a person designated as such by the Authority so register and record the receipt of communications and complaints submitted to the Authority, and to perform such other duties under these regulations as may, from time to time, be assigned by the Authority.
(f) “complaint resolution system” means a system established by licensee and approved by the authority, to address the complaints;
(2) The words and expressions used but not defined in the regulation shall have the meaning respectively assigned to them in the Ordinance.
3. Nature of Complaints. — Any person may submit an application with the Registrar for —
(a) any act or thing done or omitted to be done by a licensee or dealer in violation or alleged violation of the Ordinance, rules, regulation, order of the Authority or terms and condition of the licence;
(b) non-compliance by the licensee or dealer with the service standards in the areas including but not limited to –
(ii) connection and disconnection of service;
(iv) undue delay in providing service;
(v) safety practices; or
(vi) quantity and quality of natural gas, LPG or CNG being supplied; or
(c) discriminatory practices of the licensee or dealer
4. Application Requirements. — An application may be —
a. in the formal specified in the Schedule to these regulations, in triplicate with all of the supporting documents; and
b. on a paper having all necessary particulars of the complainant and the complaint may be written in English or Urdu, verified by an affidavit and with all supporting documents.
c. submitted within
(i) 90 days of the date, compliant failed to obtained redress from the licensee or
(ii) any other period approved by the Registrar.
5. Redress from licensee: — The Registrar shall not accept an application unless the complainant has:–
a. sought redress from the licensee pursuant to the complaint resolution system.
b. failed to obtain the desired redress.
6. Initial Assessment: — (1) The Registrar shall complete his assessment of the application within ten days of receiving it.
(2) The Registrar may reject the application if:
(a) it does not meet the requirements of regulation 4;
(b) it concerns matters outside the jurisdiction of the Authority; or
(c) in the opinion of the Registrar, it does not merit further consideration.
(3) If the Registrar:
(a) rejects the application, he shall notify the complainant in writing providing reasons for his rejection; or
(b) accepts the application, he shall:
(i) forward the application to the Designated Officer for further action; and
(ii) notify the complaint
7. Licensee to respond. — (1) The Designated Officer shall forward a copy of the application to the licensee requiring a response from the licensee or dealer within:
(a) 15 days of receiving the copy of the application; or
(b) any other period specified by the Designated Officer provided that such other period is not less than the period set out in (a) above.
(2) The response from the licensee shall be comprehensive stating the licensee’s position in relation to the complaint and to the extent the licensee’s position warrants, may include matters set out in (a) to (e) below:
(a) actions taken in addressing the compliant;
(b) reasons for its actions and lack of satisfaction by the complainant;
(c) any proposed remedy;
(d) implementation plan;
(e) any other factor relevant to the application.
8. Complaint Resolution. — (1) The Designated Officer prior to reaching his decision:
(a) shall take into consideration the response of the licensee and
(b) may take other reasonable steps to deal with the application including:
(i) arrange a meeting between the complainant and the licensee;
(ii) inspect any site; or
(iii) require additional information or any record relevant to the complaint, from the licensee or the complainant.
(2) The Designated Officer upon conclusion of his actions under clause (a) or (b) of sub-section (1), shall notify the complainant and the licensee in writing of his decision.
9. Appeal. — If the complainant or the licensee is not satisfied with the decision under these regulations, within thirty days of the decision, either party may appeal against the decision to the Authority pursuant to section 12 of the Ordinance. The memorandum of appeal shall be filed along with fee prescribed in the rules.
OGRA Complaint Form
Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority
For Authority’s Use Only
____________________ Vs _________________
(1) Information about Complainant:
City: ___________________________________ Province: _______________
Home Telephone: Area Code ( ________ ) ____________________________
Office Telephone: Area Code ( ________ ) ___________________________
(2) Person/company (Licensee, dealer) against whom complaint filed:
(3) What is the Complaint (describe problem):
(4) Has complainant tried to resolve the compliant directly with the Licensee:
If yes, explain steps taken and results: ______________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(5) What remedy/relief being sought from?
OGRA: __________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
Licensee : _______________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(6) Has complainant filed this complaint with any other body? (e.g. court)
Has complainant tried to resolve the compliant directly with the Licensee:
If yes, provide details about the body and copy of documents submitted to the body:: _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(7) Any other information: ____________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(8) Have copies of all relevant documents been attached?
If yes, itemize the list________________: ______________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Signature of Complainant
For Registrar’s Use Only
Date Received: _____________________________ File # __________________________
Date Resolved: ____________________________________________________________
Comments: _______________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________