How is a valid Christian marriage celebrated in Pakistan?

Christian marriages are governed by the Christian Marriage Act 1872. It applies where either one or both parties are Christians. Such marriages can be solemnized by any person who has received Episcopal ordination and according to the rites of that church, by a clergyman of the Church of Scotland, and by any minister of religion, marriage registrar or other licensed person. Marriage must, unless a special license is obtained, be celebrated between the hours of 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., and should normally be at a church unless special license is obtained or there is no church within five miles of the parties’ residences. Notice must be given to the minister who is to solemnize the wedding, stating full names, status, profession, residential address and length of residence, if under a month, of the parties, and intended place of solemnization. Where one of parties is a minor consent in writing is also required of such person’s parent or guardian and a copy of the notice and consent must also issue to Marriage Registrar unless the parents or guardians are not resident in Pakistan in which case no consent is required. This notice must be published both by the minister and by Marriage Registrar where it is sent to him and on the request of either party a certificate of notice given and a declaration made can be obtained from Registrar or minister, where no lawful impediment exists and the giving of such a certificate is not forbidden. Any person whose consent is necessary can forbid the marriage but the minister must examine the notice forbidding the marriage and satisfy himself that it is authorized. Where the marriage is to be solemnized by Marriage Registrar and consent is withheld, the parties may appeal on petition to District Judge. Marriages solemnized by Marriage Registrar are also governed by virtually similar rules.

Marriages must be solemnized within two months of issuance of a certificate of notice, otherwise, unless a certificate is reissued, the marriage will be void.

The marriage must be witnessed by two witnesses. Marriages must be registered and a register kept according to the rules under part IV of Act.